[Arm-netbook] 15.6in laptop progress

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Jul 23 21:03:01 BST 2015

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> is there no end to the detail that's needed??
>
> okaay so i started on the screen edge, which (surprise) turned out to
> need to be thicker than anticipated.  increasing the thickness by 2mm
> had a knock-on effect because, naturally, the base end depth has to be
> increased to match.
>
> then i began work on the friction hinge for the screen lid, so that it
> will remain upright.  you'd think it would be easy to create an

Nope ;-)

> interlock between two pieces 8mm in diameter that looks aesthetic and
> is strong enough, but nooo i can tell you it damn well isn't :)
>
> now i am onto one of the final pieces of the puzzle: creating a lid
> lock.  this needs to be spring-loaded (ball-point biro pen spring, cut
> into 1/4s 7mm long) and i am kinda amazed at how much detail is needed
> in such a small space.  the clasp is 10mm x 9mm x 8mm but requires a
> 5mm diameter hole in the centre (for the spring)... we'll have to see
> how it works out.

You could just not bother with a lock.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X230, and it has no lock on the lid.

There is a slight impression that the lid snaps shut when almost closed,
but it's not clear if that's really the case.

You could alternatively do some sort of rotating thing on the corners,
like the OLPC's wifi arials.

Cheers, Phil.