[Arm-netbook] video of 15.6in laptop casework

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Thu Jul 9 15:44:47 BST 2015

+++ Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton [2015-07-09 15:01 +0100]:
> http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/laptop_15in/news/
>
> just created a 5min video describing the casework: the parts for the
> base are now completed, i will move onto the screen next.

That looks really nice, luke.

How do the joins work (e.g along the top edge)? Are they screwed or
slotted or clipped?

You know what looking at that case made me think of: project ara, with
a nominally similar concept of a skeleton you put various components
into (CPU, display, batteries etc). Looking into using the bus they've
devloped to make bit-swapping more modular might be something to think
about. It's all in the kernel already. The fancy magnetic hot-swap
connectors will be hard to get currently no doubt, but any connector
will do to start with.

The major design difference is that there is a core microcontroller on
the ara design to manage the hotplugging, so that the CPU modules
aren't special. Anyway this is probably a distraction as you already
have a plan, but just thought I'd mention it.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/