[Arm-netbook] early alpha production run of libre laptop PCBs, microdesktops and CPU Cards

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Wed Dec 16 21:11:03 GMT 2015

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:
>> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> writes:
>>>  oh great - yeah the STM32F072 is like a grown-up version of the
>>> arduino.  none of this bullshit installing 160mb of java runtime, a
>>> toy-for-an-IDE that does nothing more than wrap sdcc and avr-utils
>>> even to the point of modifying simple Makefiles for you.  i bought an
>>> OSMC back in 2001, it had the same PICs as the arduino, and *nobody*
>>> arsed about with 250mb of crap to wrap 5mb worth of libraries and
>>> command-line compiler tools!
>>>
>>>  rant over.... :)
>>
>> Pretty much exactly why I helped make sure that the java stuff is
>> optional on Debian -- see the 'arduino-core' and 'arduino-mk' packages:
>
>  ah!  yes, i remember you mentioning that to me a couple years back, i
> vaguely remembered, but now you mention it i had installed....
>
> $ dpkg -l | grep arduino
> ii  arduino-core                           2:1.0.5+dfsg2-4
> ii  arduino-mk                             1.3.4-1
>
> ... those exact same packages, to do the SPI-testing with an adafruit
> hx8357d LCD and an arduino uno, a few weeks back.  yaay, so the
> maintainers listened to your advice, split out the core stuff?

Not advice -- turning up cold and giving people advice often goes quite
badly (as I think you may have demonstrated once or thrice ;-) )

I built the arduino-core package (including the makefile), and getting
the author of the best of the several makefile forks to accept some nice
patches from other forks of it, so that there's now one obvious upstream
makefile to use, while also working out with Scott (who had already done
the full 'arduino' package) that we could eliminate the duplication and
have the main package depend on mine, and build it all out of the same
source.  He seems to have since split out the Makefile into the -mk
package.

> btw just for the record (for anyone else reading this in the archives,
> later), these are the other packages i have installed, to program
> arduinos *without* the crap 200mb of java-based runtime and IDE:
>
> ii  avr-libc                               1:1.8.0+Atmel3.4.4-1
> ii  avrdude                                6.1-2
> ii  binutils-avr                           2.24+Atmel3.4.4-1
> ii  gcc-avr                                1:4.8.1+Atmel3.4.4-2
>
> this is enough to be able to simply grab Makefiles online (there's
> lots of examples out there, usually you can search "debian arduino uno
> makefile" [1]) and e.g. entire adafruit libraries and example programs
> and get them up-and-running very very quickly and just type "make" and
> then "make upload".
>
> l.
>
> [1] http://www.itopen.it/arduino-1-0-development-with-a-makefile/ - if
> following those instructions replace the first "apt-get install
> arduino" with phil's recommended packages "apt-get install
> arduino-core arduino-mk".

You only need:

  apt-get install arduino-mk

since that depends on arduino-core, which depends on all the other bits.

Cheers, Phil.