[Arm-netbook] H2020 EU Funding

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Apr 29 10:32:57 BST 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Hrvoje Lasic <lasich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What will be idea?

 i think this one would be very effective:

http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/opportunities/h2020/topics/2566-sie-01-2015.html

 as would this one:

 http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/desktop/en/opportunities/h2020/topics/2565-ict-37-2015.html

> Do you go to phase 1 or  2?

 well, i'd like to go straight to phase 2, because we have actual
products nearing completion: it's not actually "theoretical", it's
real.

 however....

> You need actual partners for phase2. For phase 1 you can have only letter of
> intent or mention it in project. Phase 2 you have little chances w/o phase 1
> won (in theory you do but in real life no).

 .... if you've actually had experience with this then i'm happy to
learn from that.

> We applied 3 times and didn't won, but came very close and last application
> have been above threshold but we still have to improve in some areas. I can
> give you some general advices or you can do it via good consultant also.
> Maybe we can even participate if there is something we can do.

 that would be very good.

 this project, i mean - it's not "theoretical", at all.  for the
energy-efficiency and carbon reduction programme, this project
*clearly* qualifies: it's *designed* to reduce e-waste and carbon
emissions.  i'm designing products where the casework is made of
bamboo, for goodness sake!  and the plastics i'm looking at hemp fibre
reinforced PLA (which is incredibly strong btw).

 on the other programme, it's guaranteed to be disruptive: it's
turning the entire product development cycle - from design to
ownership - completely sideways.  i don't describe the project as a
paradigm shift in computing without good reason.

 so there's actual *genuine* justification as to why this project
would succeed in an application under either of those to programmes.
which helps enormously when writing because it means that there's
something to believe in, strongly, rather than just "hope it might
work".

 so, hrvoje: what do you have that you could be part of a
participation effort?  what do you do - remind me :)

 btw, we have a secret weapon: i know someone who actually
participated in the review of EU funding applications, so has seen
this from the other side: i've invited him to help out, let's see what
he says.