[Arm-netbook] IC3128 1280x800 60fps confirmed

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Nov 9 11:23:45 GMT 2014

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Nico Rikken <nico at nicorikken.eu> wrote:

> If that cpu card would imply endorsement by the FSF I would assume it
> would be of value to the product and the campaign.

 noow you're getting it.

> Having suggested the
> current proposal to some friends the response was that for them to buy a
> board of relatively low performance, it would at least have to be
> supporting free software.

 well, a) the IC3128 has a compiler (i have the source now), android
ported (i have the source now) and a qemu emulator (still waiting for
the source on that) and *that's it*.  so if you want anything else you
are *literally* going to have to compile it from scratch. but b) the
other one that's FSF-Endorseable is the ingenic JZ4775 card, and that
_does_ have full GNU/Linux OSes including of course debian
pre-compiled.

unfortunately however the current contract is finished so unless
someone comes forward with the money to pay to have a prototype made
up of the JZ4775 CPU Card it will remain unavailable.

> The argument of buying into freedom with
> EOMA68 doesn't seem to cut it. Maybe others have got similar responses?
>
> Is there any idea when the campaign will launch?

 when the things on the TODO list are completed.  these include:

 * completing the video (going to have another attempt today)
 * completing the initial list of rewards
 * waiting for the prototypers to complete the first wooden case

> I was considering
> contacting all website where the Improve, Spark Tablet or Vivaldi tablet
> were featured (Liliputing, Phoronix, Slashdot, Jupiter Broadcasting)
> since it would be a great follow-up on this previous story. Also for the
> updated story on e-waste tying into Phoneblocks or Fairphone and for
> similarly It could be positioned as the low-cost alternative to the
> Novena laptop, as I heard some complaints about the price during a
> conference.

 yeah the novena has a lot of features including extremely high-end
screen and an industrial-grade processor, and it's being made in small
quantities.  although people may believe the price is high it actually
really isn't.

 i want to wait until the pi-top is available and its CAD/CAM files
released, then we make a modified version that takes an EOMA68 CPU
Card.

> Maybe putting up a community-marketing page for coordination would be a
> great way to make sure all mayor news outlets are target for the
> campaign.

 good idea!  do you want to start that?  i created a blank page
 http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/micro_desktop/marketing/

 hang on have to talk to phil as it's saying "do not have permission
to access....