[Arm-netbook] Gigabit NIC Speeds

Michael Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Thu May 29 22:47:39 BST 2014

Hi All,

Not specifically Netbook, just a general question for opinions;

What is the bottleneck on arm devices when it comes to network speed?

I have a number of devices and they are all woefully slow. In order of
poorness :) a few Dreamplugs (1/10th the speed of desktop) , a
Cubietruck (1/5th the speed of desktop), a mirabox (haven't actuially
timed it) et al.

Obviously there are many factors that can afect timings (depending on
the test) but even using 3rd party Gigabit USB Nics the results do not
improve. I've used netcat and scp (ouch) to name two methods, what would
be a good leveller to eliminate outside factors?

Cheers,