[Arm-netbook] Improv And Operation:Marketing for EMOA-*

mike.valk at gmail.com mike.valk at gmail.com
Tue May 27 09:40:23 BST 2014

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM, mike.valk at gmail.com
> <mike.valk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That means that every USB3, slave, device must accept a USB1/2 link,
> > from a master,
>
>  yyyup.
>
> > USB3 requires 5 extra pins
>
> 4 coming off the CPU Card.  what's the 5th one?

Apparently: GND_DRAIN: Ground for signal return

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Pinouts

Probably it used to "drain" signal leakage from the SuperSpeed cable pairs.
But how that is to be terminated on the devices properly, I have no idea.
I'm not sure if it's necessary in the EOMA connector either.

Couldn't find anything useful on the Internet either.
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/107669/usb3-with-fewer-wires

Just a notice in this one:
http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/AND9114-D.PDF

Page 7: Quote on PCB design:
"Place grounds between high speed pairs and keep as
much distance between pairs as possible to reduce
crosstalk"