[Arm-netbook] EOMA - Open Specification?

Jonathan Frederickson silverskullpsu at gmail.com
Sun May 25 15:49:37 BST 2014

Hey all. I've been following the progress here for a while, though I
wasn't subscribed at the time. Something Luke said a while back
concerned me, however:

"so i am very sorry to have to spell it out, but you will *never* be a
customer of *any* EOMA or QiMod products, *ever*, and you will *never*
be granted a license to make EOMA-compatible products.  and that's not
my decision, but we both have to live with that."

I can understand being blacklisted as a customer, and removing all
mention of EOMA, as it is (maybe?) a QiMod trademark. However, the bit
about being granted a license to make EOMA-compatible products is
troubling. It seems counter to the statement on the FAQ:

"The EOMA-68 initiative is an "Open Specification". That means that
anyone can create either CPU cards or motherboards that conform to it.
Thus, it is possible for anyone to create an "Open Hardware" compliant
CPU card or motherboard."
(http://rhombus-tech.net/faq/#index12h2)

...which seems to imply that one wouldn't *need* a license to create
compatible products. So my question is this: how open is the EOMA
specification, really?

Regards,
Jon F.