[Arm-netbook] Improv And Operation:Marketing for EMOA-*

Derek LaHousse dlahouss at mtu.edu
Sun May 25 00:49:17 BST 2014

On Sat, 2014-05-24 at 11:36 +0200, Miguel Garcia wrote:

> >  so i am inclined, especially because i anticipate USB3 SoCs coming
> > along over the next 8-9 years, to replace SATA with USB2 and 2 other
> > lines.  i think, joe, that one of them should be the "TTL high Power
> > Line" for the voltage levels on GPIO (and UART).
> >

> I think it's a good idea.
>
> EOMA-68 should be compatible with most SoCs. If SATA prevents EOMA is
> compatible with most SoCs, I think it is better to delete SATA.

If all you want is to make a product that works for tablets, go ahead.
But SATA is a disk standard, while USB is a peripheral bus.  As I
understand it (and I could be wrong, please educate me), the USB bus
generally has to go through CPU, while SATA can often be driven with
DMA.  I believe the RasPi currently has this problem with its USB
busses.

So, if I can echo some of what Luke has said previously, this is for
tablet AND tv AND laptop AND mini-computer.  Please please please do NOT
cut out the SATA connector.

I remain interested in buying a card, to go with my MEB with the
upside-down SATA.

Derek