[Arm-netbook] EOMA, Improv etc

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat May 24 08:06:33 BST 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Boris Barbour <barbour at biologie.ens.fr> wrote:

> On 24/05/14 00:40, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>> have you seen the recent discussions on debian-arm about the port of
>> debian-installer to sunxi?
>

> No. Although it sounds good, I'm not actually sure what that means - that
> I'll soon be able to run the installer on lots of hardware?

 it means no more f*****g about with 4 gigabyte downloads just to get
*someone else's* decisions on what software should be installed on
*your* hardware, having to undo all of their arbitrary decisions, no
more having to work out how to resize SD card images, and you can
install directly onto SATA as one of the disks... or do NFS root
partitions.... everything.

> All I know is that I should be able to run debian without hassle on arm like
> I run it on intel stuff, and benefit from low power, long battery life (for
> mobile stuff) and low cost (eventually). But nearly all available equipment
> is tediously constrained in some way or other. I'll be happy to start with a
> small, silent fanless box.

 USB, VGA, SD/MMC, HDMI, 10/100 Ethernet, 1Gb RAM, 4Gb NAND, Dual-Core
A20, a few pins GPIO and an I2C interface.  would that do for a start?