[Arm-netbook] EOMA, Improv etc

Boris Barbour boris.barbour at ens.fr
Fri May 23 14:18:12 BST 2014

Guys,

Although it's hard to avoid the temptation of a good blamestorming session, it
is a shame to see libre people fighting for little gain. Personally, I don't
think it's a good idea to use the public mailing list for this.

Getting libre-friendly hardware off the ground is really difficult, and it's not
something that anybody has a lot of previous experience with (except Arduino +
Raspberry to an extent). I think it is only to be expected that mistakes will
be happen, unrealistic assumptions will be made and overoptimistic
expectations will not be fulfilled, leaving people in more than awkward
situations. What's important is to learn from the mistakes and move forward.

The fund-raising success of the Novena stuff suggests one path forward. The
EOMA project will find it a lot easier to raise funding and gain traction if it
can demonstrate a prototype product integrating a prototype eoma board. There
are some working prototypes of the board already, if I understand correctly.
What would be the easiest (=cheapest) product to build? I'm guessing a mini-
pc, since there is no screen to integrate and no real space constraint,
although a latptop or a tablet would be a bit more exciting. What would be
required?

Best wishes,

Boris