[Arm-netbook] Regarding Improv, EOMA68, Free Software and Open Hardware.

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 08:11:47 BST 2014

On Thu, 2014-06-26 at 18:13 +0200, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> tor 2014-06-26 klockan 08:59 +0000 skrev joem:
>
> > Quite a few distros have been made on the Cubieboard
> > awaiting release that will run on EOMA68.
> > It would be good if KDE plasma can be working
> > on EOMA68 and a touch LCD.
> > Or better still, cubieboard and touch LCD
> > because that can transfer to EOMA with just
> > a few minor changes, whilst in parallel
> > Mr. Cubie (Tom)
>
> Tom is no longer involved in Cubietech afaik.
>
> In personally I prefer Olimex boards for development. A little bigger,
> but all open and more I/O exposed. Plus a much wider range of boards
> available depending on your needs.

Thank you - will look into evaluating one.

> >  reaps some benefits from
> > Plasma/touch LCD working.
> > Any ideas anyone for costs to make it happen?
> > (Paypal ready question!)
>
> If it can run ontop of Android MALI drivers then not much should be
> missing.
>
> The state for non-Android GNU/Linux MALI drivers is a bit of a mess
> unfortunately. Getting this in production shape requires cooperation of
> Allwinner and maybe ARM as well.
>
> LIMA is doing good progress, but will likely take a while before it's
> capable of running Plasma.

Its an utter shame the current plan is to let all this drag on.

The mass market for which the EOMA and touch display, and plasma
will sell billions of, and
which the trolls here have missed during their fierce
holy wars of late is fitted to this product:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj0CozzsDEY

Personally I don't mind calling Luke, Aaron, Allwinner, ARM
and everyone a troll until this problem is repaired.
Reading all the stuff posted,
they have zero understanding of what they are missing out on.

Still, I got to the stage where Gambas is working on
LCD with EOMA68 / Cubieboard and if I find
enough time, the touch LCD will work.
The gambas GUI software will have to
provide what plasma hasn't yet delivered.

The sliding screen effects could probably
get implemented by Gambas. If we ask
the Gambas community for a graphical control that can
do that effect, it would probably get built in.

Luke: I got the latest board costed up and its <$50
per EOMA with 2GB (not going split resources
at this stage to make the 1GB).
But it comes with a lead balloon MOQ of 2000 for
the PCMCIA case because they are only made in Taiwan.