[Arm-netbook] [status] EOMA68-jz4775 CPU Card

Derek dlahouss at mtu.edu
Mon Jun 9 17:32:48 BST 2014

 <freebirds <at> fastmail.fm> writes:

> Congratulations! Thanks Luke for supporting MIPS. I have been waiting
> for a MIPS CPU card. I can donate. Please private message me.
>
> "Unfortunately, MIPS Release 5 has the VZ module to support hardware
> assisted virtualization." https://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/KVM Though
> there is little information on the internet on the VZ module, most
> likely it would be less of a surveillance threat than TrustZone and
> Mobicore.

Luke, I too would be interested in getting an FSF-endorseable card, so will
be following your progress on this card.

Freebirds, you don't know the technologies you're talking about.  From the
linux-mips article about VZ: "The root is in full control of what the guest
is permitted to do, which allows a guest operating system to run unmodified
and unaware that it is being virtualised."  If you are worried about
TrustZone, then you should be equally worried about VZ.

Me, on the other hand, I would like to have hardware support of
virtualization.  I'm excited for this technology.