[Arm-netbook] ARM device - compiling linux software

Michael Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 09:25:30 BST 2014

On 09/06/2014 08:18, Erix wrote:

>     Message: 2
>     Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 20:13:57 +0100
>     From: Michael Howard <mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
>     <mailto:mike at dewberryfields.co.uk>>
>     To: arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk
>     <mailto:arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>
>     Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] ARM device - compiling linux software
>

>     On 06/06/2014 12:27, peter green wrote:
>     > Michael Howard wrote:
>     >> Looking for another ARM device to assist in software builds, has
>     >> anybody got any recommendations for a capable board/device
>     available
>     >> in the UK?
>     > I like the wandboard quad myself, able to run debian armmp kernels,
>     > seems to be reasonablly stable (i've been running the
>     autobuilders for
>     > raspbian jessie on them for a while with only occasional crashes
>     which
>     > I half suspect are due to my use of btrfs), has an a9 quad core
>     > processor, 2GB ram, SATA and serial console (full RS232 levels
>     too so
>     > no need to mess arround with level shifters). I'm not aware of
>     any UK
>     > stockists but mouser ship quickly and handle all the VAT/customs BS
>     > from their end so there are no nasty financial surprises on
>     delivery.
>     >
>     >
>     http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wandboard/WBQUAD/?qs=cF9QIdCP5siVNjY/ywrBAA==
>     >
>     >

> Hi Mike,

Hi Erix,
> First of all, I don't have your experience & skill, but there is
> something I don't understand.
> If you previsouly used Axx Allwinner platforms in the past for making
> your packages I presume you're mainly using this platform as
> "production" platform.
> So if you are turning now to a Wandboard that has a FreeScale
> processor how will you manage? Are you going to use cross-compiling
> technic?

Well, all the devices are Cortex A9, all  ARM v7 instruction set
architecture, so I don't have any problems there.

I use a combination of compiling methods. Preferably, for softwares that
are cross friendly (e.g. linux kernel), straight forward cross-compiling
on a desktop PC(s) running Debian using the emdebian tool chains. For
some softwares, not so cross friendly, I start the build on a native
device but use Distcc to distribute to the desktop(s) cross-compiler and
other native ARM v7 devices. On very rare occasions I've had to do a
complete  native build but not recently.

> If so, how/what do you think of the Radxa mini board on thes matters?
> What is your opinion?
> It looks cheaper than the Wandboard?
> http://radxa.com/specification/

Does look neat and yes, does appear to be cheaper. Might take a punt on
one actually, see if it cuts the mustard. Thanks for pointing it out.
> Sorry in advance if I'm "out of subject".
No need to be sorry, glad to hear from you.

Cheers,
Mike.