[Arm-netbook] IC for analog and digital buttons (EOMA-68)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jul 29 20:05:28 BST 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Daniel Iglesias
<daniel.iglesias at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, Miguel brought me here :) Thanks for everyone's help and sorry if this message doesn't turn up in the proper thread or if the quotes are messed up since I'm not used to mailing lists.

 you're here now.  if you look up any netiquette set of instructions
on how to interact with people - top-posting and not cutting context
being the two biggest no-no's - you'll do fine.  an introduction like
you just did, at the top of the message, is great, btw.

>> >  Matrix-scanning is not a good idea. We want all possible button combinations.
>>
>>  thought so
>>
>>  ok so you have an IC for the GPIO, and one for the ADC.
>
> We could use two different IC's, but wouldn't using an appropriate microcontroller be a less complex solution?

 software-wise, no.  with a microcontroller you have to a) write the
firmware b) have two compilers c) upload the firmware d) design into
the hardware a means to upload the firmware.

> Some uc's in the ATtiny48 family have 6 ADCs and enough I/O pins.

 ok yeah something like the arduino PICs would be extremely good, the
infrastructure is amazing and they have support in sdcc.  i helped out
on the OSMC project a loong while ago so i know that you *do not* need
all the 168mbyte crud that comes with the arduino just to compile
sub-8k applications! :)