[Arm-netbook] Which Name/Project/Company Do I Use To Promote?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Wed Feb 19 11:28:29 GMT 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Jeremy Wykes <jeremy.wykes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm working on a draft that I'll post soon~ish. I'm stuck on "Why".
>> > why as in why why not how,what but why sort of why :) are you doing
>> > this?
>

> I can offer this perspective as to why EOMA68 is attractive. To design a
> device based on a modern full featured SoC/CPU that is capable of running a
> desktop level OS requires designing a PCB with high speed signalling for the
> RAM etc. This is a non-trivial task that is beyond most people without
> specific engineering expertise, and expensive software tools. A modular CPU
> card like EOMA68 has all the high speed stuff taken care of, and can be
> dropped into a PCB with a PCMCIA socket that even an advanced hobbyist can
> design, get manufactured and then populate by hand soldering. As far as I
> know, there has not really been anything like this in the past.

 ... and certainly not on a scale that's planned and designed for
mass-volume, and certainly not in a long-term upgradeable form-factor.

> Making custom or prototype devices with modern CPUs is now accessible to a
> far wider range of individuals and companies than before, and those devices
> will be upgradeable as more EOMA68 cards appear.

 exactly.  it's quite a comprehensive story/strategy, one that
ultimately has a simple reason for each participant in that
story/strategy (which all the other participants don't really need to
know).

 and it is dependent on getting some sales in as it is at a critical
time-dependent phase of the project.