[Arm-netbook] http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/kde_tablet/news/

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Dec 5 16:15:28 GMT 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 3:30 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-12-04 at 23:45 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> started on a first revision of the tablet casework, as a pyopenscad
>> program, using a blender-exported STL as the "ghost" template to work
>> out how the case should surround the parts.  it's done as layers so
>> may either be made of wooden laminates or 3D printed and assembled
>> using screws/bolts.
>
> I got limited wood veneer about 1mm thick to make own laminate cut with
> laser. Let me know where to download the dxf file (or whatever), to try
> make something.

 http://hands.com/~lkcl/3dcase.tgz - do you know how to take dxf
slices from openscad?  if not i'll rework the python code to generate
dxf files directly.  don't be confused by the name car_model.py ok? :)
 pyopenscad.py is included in the directory so will be imported
directly.

> My guess is that if its got curved surfaces,

 no, and that's deliberate.  i arranged it so it's possible to laser-cut.

 ok so only 1mm veneer, hmmm, you can get away with that.  thicknesses
are meant to be 1.5mm, 3.0mm, 4.0mm and 2.5mm however you could get
away with either one or two 1mm, then 3mm, 4mm and 2mm (just about).
base could be 1mm as well.  the1.5mm is a surround for the
touchscreen.

> a wooden
> mold would also have to be made from laminates to allow the laminates to
> be clamped and set into their final shape.
> (Veneer is dirt cheap but container shipment costs about double the
> value of the contents inside.)

 bizarre huh?