[Arm-netbook] Game Console OS

Alexander Stephen Thomas Ross maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me
Wed Aug 13 16:38:52 BST 2014

On 13/08/14 10:14, Miguel Garcia wrote:
> <maillist_arm-netbook at aross.me>:
>> what if it's duel boot? Could it auto switch so when it's plugged into
>> the game console it boots the game console only distro and anything else
>> the generic full system?
>>
>> heck could you turn the game distro human interface into a desktop
>> environment?
>
> Seems a good idea. The problem is when you have many devices based on
> EOMA-68 (such as routers, etc.). That's difficult with your idea. You
> would need several OS at once.

It's not preferable, it's a compromise. I would strongly recommend
putting the software you want to say the (for example) debian repos or
(for the short term) in your own repo. with packages that setup the
configuration you want, the desktop environment you want. "apt-get
install game-console"

with auto switch desktop environment depending with device its plugged
into or manual override at the login screen (or during boot?) where you
can force a DE should you really want to.

I guess your concerned about more than a DE but about the background
stuff and perhaps having a very minimal system. Don't see why a minimal
system can't be loaded instead of the normal full system.? I guess it's
a lot of work to take a system, DE that is designed for a minimal,
custom, different system and have it working on a full debian system for
example, and to maintain it, to merge changes from upstream into these
err Debian compatible versions is that your thinking? if so, thats why I
suggested the compromise of duel boot this time round but long term, I'd
like to see these things integrated into full generic distos.

> EOMA-68 is good for generic OS (also useful in the console). But if
> you want to offer specifics features/software, you need specific
> cards.

not so preferable, urrg.

hmm didn't the improv kde people have a automated compiling farm/service
or something?