[Arm-netbook] IC for analog and digital buttons (EOMA-68)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Aug 11 15:46:44 BST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Miguel Garcia <gacuest at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about the EOMA-68.
>
> If you (or someone else) manufactures and sells its own EOMA-68, how
> it will work on the console?
>
> Let me explain. I suppose that the EOMA-68 for the console need
> special drivers for controls and STM32F. Possibly someone buy a
> EOMA-68 in a store and that EOMA-68 does not have these drivers. Can
> he not use that EOMA-68 on the console?

 interesting and relevant question!

 interesting because there is still quite a bit of work that needs to be done.

 addressing the drivers:

 a) there needs to be (will be) an "official" kernel area for eoma68
cards.  pulling random kernels and software is going to "work" for a
given value of "work" but it won't really be properly eoma68 compliant
unless people use the proper kernels

 b) so for example the drivers needed for the console will be in that
"official" area.

 c) part of that area involves the device-tree "merging" code (that
will need to be written), so that the CPU Cards can dynamically detect
what they're plugged into, load the Device-Tree fragment out of the
EEPROM and go from there.

 addressing the software:

 a card out-of-the-box (3rd party) isn't exactly going to have the
games or other apps on it, is it! :)  so, it would "work"... but it
would work only with what the OS software could find: screen, USB-HID
devices, USB Audio and so on.  soooo.... in theeorryyy, with the
STM32F publishing "buttons" via a USB-HID, and publishing the analog
joystick again as a USB mouse, in theeeoorrryyy "Random OS Mk VII"
*might* actually work.