[Arm-netbook] Laptop idea

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Aug 11 11:07:04 BST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:00 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
>> netbook (10 to 11in 1280x800 LCD) no problem, laptop (1400x900
>> or above), requires some cash.
>

> Laptop shipments are sequentially down year on year
> and vertical definitions such as x800 or x900
> and just yuk. Even a 7" padphone now sports
> IPS 1920x1200 resolution costing retail USD200.
> Getting one of those 7" screens into a laptop would be neat
> as it would outdo most commercial offerings
> with a better screen. For $180 the 9.3"
> tablets with 2048*1536 screens available
> (e.g. Onda V975M). Getting one of those into 'Ubuntu laptop'
> would steal the show.

 niiice.  however (cross-over posting) i need to redo the metal
casework down to 3.3mm to get back up to 1920x1080, that will require
re-tooling costs, a minor redesign and sourcing of a matching
Mid-Mount Micro-HDMI Type D connector.  the part we found previously
(reverse mid-mount from Amphenol) went end-of-life.  they still have
the tooling: they can do another run if there is an order of 1 million
units or above.  the only other part found so far is from Molex and
it's $1.30 instead of $0.30.

 so quite a bit of work needed so i am reserving that for the next few
months once sales are in.

 remember joe, unlike even your own business there is no income yet, i
cannot just drop $10,000 to $20,000 into tooling so unless someone
comes up with that money things have to be done in a bootstrap
sequence.