[Arm-netbook] Warning: yahoo users postings might be lost

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Apr 14 00:58:50 BST 2014

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 11:21 PM, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> This may be mail to a mail list (such as this one) their mail list postings may
> not be received by other yahoo users and also gmail users & a few others.
>
> Yahoo made changes without warning and have caused a huge on-line discussion by
> mailing list operators.
>
> Yahoo broke email lists.
>
> This is because at the start of the week Yahoo changed their DMARC settings to
> ask servers that receive a message with a yahoo.com email address in the From:
> line to reject it if it isn't properly signed by yahoo, which all messages they
> send will be.

 well, that's fine.  basically what will happen is that anyone using a
yahoo email address will find that they:

 a) don't receive messages
 b) can't subscribe online because the mailing list subscription
system doesn't work
 c) don't receive the acknowledgement even if they use a web address
to subscribe

 sooo... what will happen is that people will simply... not use yahoo,
because it no longer works.   last week, i wondered why my partner
couldn't receive an email from a mailing list subscription system
(business related) when we tried to register online.  now i know why.

> Basically, Yahoo has said that it users are not supposed to use any
> mailing list configured in the manner that they are often configured in.
>
> There are several possible workarounds, but none of them satisfactory.

 http://www.dmarc.org/faq.html#s_3

 what a complete load of tosh.  mailing lists are required to
significantly modify messages, changing for example the "from" field
to that of the mailing list, then use one of the rubbish methods that
we know already fail to provide any kind of checks.

 i love the way they say "DMARC was invented because you never know
what other methods people will use - SPF or DKIM".

 well... now there's *three* possible methods that people won't use... great! :)

 thanks for the entertainment and the heads-up alain.