[Arm-netbook] Raspberry Pi Compute Module

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 10:07:04 BST 2014

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:04:34PM -0400, Christopher Havel wrote:

> ...is it just me, or is the idea of a $35 (ish) computer that requires a
> $100+ monitor (or some *really* clever jiggering and something that can
> receive blurry ugly composite video) in order simply to have a display...

Errrm, who said that a computer needs a monitor/keyboard/mouse ?
There are plenty of uses where it just talks to non-human interacting devices,
eg: broadband router, process control (central heating, weather station, ...)

> well, doesn't that seem a little stupid? Above all else, the Pi is
> (theoretically) supposed to be a hacker/maker-friendly, hobbyist-friendly,
> super-low-cost computer. There really aren't many display interfaces in the
> world that are *less* hacker/maker- and hobbyist-friendly than HDMI.
> Besides, all my displays are VGA only -- and I'm not in a hurry to change
> that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know? As far as I'm concerned,
> HDMI can go play a nice long game of Hide And Go **** Yourself.
>
> tl;dr I'm buying a RasPi if it doesn't have a VGA port or some otherwise
> native support for VGA.

I bought this HDMI -> VGA converter for my R-Pi, it cost #8.05 when I got it in
Jan (they seem to have back to back special offers):

    http://www.cellphoneshop.net/hdmivga.html

This looks neater:

    http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/hdmi-male-to-vga-converter-hdmi-to-vga-cable/166351175.html

--