[Arm-netbook] [flying squirrel] TODO list

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Mon Sep 30 12:03:27 BST 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-30 at 11:20 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

> >>  *sigh* this turns out to be because (AGAIN) wits-tech did not...
> >> AGAIN ... tell us that they'd made changes which were NOT authorised,
> >> to the EOMA68-A20 CPU Card schematics.
> >

> > The best way to deal with 'QA' issues to factories in Far East
> > is to say thank you for what you receive and request
> > changes to the board that puts right whatever is a problem.
> > This makes the whole process blameless and work gets done more quickly.
>
>  good advice.  i'm finding that my associates believe that there is
> some sort of "contract" (as a quote to create a finished product)
> rather than a work-for-hire R&D ongoing set of payments.  they're
> therefore blaming the chinese design team for failing to "abide by the
> contract".

I assume the associates have never done
business in Far East and carry on as if they
are doing business in west as if it will get them
results :)

You need to train them Luke. People work differently
in different parts of world. The correct way to deal with Far
East is to say thank you to the factory boss with a big
gift for the items sent. Be happy. And then sort out any issues. :)

Never bring up words like 'contract'.
The moment a factory owner decide to help you with big projects,
they are like life partners and 'contract' mean nothing to no one.

>  but the more important issue we have here however is that to correct
> these problems requires cash to do another small run, to test the
> corrections.  we can't drop 2.5k units into production without them
> being fully tested.

Why not do what the Far East always does well.

Make 10.
If that works make 100.
If that works make 1000.
If that works make 100,000.
If that works make 1,000,000.
..
and keep on making
until it no longer works as well as it used to,
and then cut back. Start new products and production asap to keep
up the revenue flow.