[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 + SATA dock becomes accidental PC that boots in 20 seconds

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 22:07:38 BST 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> EOMA68-A20 + SATA dock becomes accidental PC that boots in 20 seconds
>
> http://www.gplsquared.com/eoma_boot/eoma_boot.html#eoma_as_a_pc
>
> It seems adding a sata dock to the EOMA makes it become a competent PC that boots in 20 seconds!!
> An SSD was used, so its also silent and vibration free.

 wow.  awesome.  i wonder, joe, if you've seen the innodisk sata slim
(3MP) drives?  they're about 45mm x 30mm and come in sizes ranging
from 8gb to 128gb.

> Measuring currents, the EOMA takes up a maximum of 0.5A at 5V.
> The normal operating current is about 300mA. Thats about 1.5W excluding
> the drive. Easy to power this thing off solar panels.
>
> For servers the sata dock allows swap out drives as needed. The sata dock costs about $20.
> A low spec SSD costs about $30. Suddenly you got a PC that runs faster than a nettop
> costing twice as much and contains a lot more wasting chips. Unlike MK802 and similar
> devices, this device with a SATA fitted feels a lot less fragile and as responsive as PCs.
>
> Luke should not be "hanging around" with all this tech that is working or workable.
> The silly boy should be talking money off customers and waste less time
> writing long love letters in arm-netbook.
> Get it out into production and start selling I say - even if they are in batch quantities of 25.

 allrightallright!!  the issue is that we have to pay for batches of
1k+ units, we can't arse about buying 100 here or 100 there.  and we
also need to coordinate with the MEB design and testing.

 right now the MEB is what's holding things up.

> That reminds me, if anyone has two spare eomas with MEB they are not using,
> i offer to buy. I need them to swap out some heavy power sapping PCs and replace them
> with these power efficient devices (for http, ftp and ssh server).
>
> Apparently they are gold dust ;)

 there's only been 30 made so far!