[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 now booting Linaro distro from uSD card

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Fri Sep 20 00:06:29 BST 2013

joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 2013-09-19 at 00:31 +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
>> joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> writes:

>> > To recap, I released a binary and left exact links and exact version
>> > numbers to recreate it as well as exact details of tools and where to
>> > get it.
>>
>> Did you? -- where?
>>
>> As I understood it you released a binary without the supporting
>> complete description of how it was built -- if that's a misunderstanding
>> on my part then I think it's also a misunderstanding shared by pretty
>> much everyone else that's been contributing to this thread.
>

> Ah, if that is the impression I left, I must be barking mad.
> It was NEVER EVER the intention.

That's good -- I had a suspicion that it was more a communication
failure than anything like malice.

>         1. instead of git checkout origin/sunxi-3.0, used git checkout
>         origin/sunxi-3.4

At this point you'd clearly still missed the point behind the bit where
I said:

  in the git situation we need the commit checksum that was
  at the head of the origin/sunxi-3.4 branch when you built it

but I see later in the thread that someone had more wisdom than me, and
pointed you at git show, rather than just describing what it does at a
more abstract level as I did -- sorry about that.  I suppose that comes
From dealing with this stuff for far too long, and expecting other
people to know about arcane aspects of how the things work.

Anyway, I'm glad it looks like everyone is now talking about the same
thing -- well done Joe for putting up with the deluge of what must have
been incomprehensible advice.

BTW you might want to read:

  Git from the bottom up, by John Wiegley

It's the thing that allowed me to get a proper model of what's going on
when you use git.

Cheers, Phil.