[Arm-netbook] [router] schematics started

Neal Peacock neal at nic-stix.com
Thu Sep 19 21:55:56 BST 2013

"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Derek LaHousse <dlahouss at mtu.edu>
>wrote:
>> luke.leighton <luke.leighton <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> it does have to be an equivalent,
>>> _and_ one that doesn't require an NDA, _and_ is still current, _and_
>>> isn't going end-of-life any time soon, _and_ is fully integrated
>with
>>> direct UTP driving  <at>  gigabit speeds without needing one extra
>PHY IC
>>> per interface.
>>
>> Which of these did the Qualcomm chip I posted fall into?  NDA?
>
> yes, NDA.  plus it's USA-designed and supplied.  i have deep abiding
>concerns about sourcing any SoC that is by a USA-based company,
>primarily because the parent company could be pressurised into *not*
>supplying sufficient quantity, should the product itself become a huge
>mass-volume success.  yes, if you've not been reading slashdot, this
>kind of political stupid tit-for-tat (China banning Cisco products,
>U.S. banning Huawei products) really does happen.
>
> the other concern is that we'd not even be able to get _small_
>quantities (10k or so) without going through a USA-based supplier.
>that requires insane credit references, credit checks, existence
>checks, existentialist checks and so on.

I used to work for a very small US based manufacturer. They didn't have many problems placing orders despite having terrible credit .  However generally once that became an issue (there was a reason they had bad credit) paying up front always seem to fix it without any further fuss.  In that way it wasn't really any different than buying from China. YMMV