[Arm-netbook] ARM system with good wifi

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Sep 19 19:11:09 BST 2013

>> I'd like to use something like a Mele-A2000 (i.e. one of those
>> cheapish-but-beefier-than-linksys-router ARM systems) as access point,
>> but my Mele-A2000 has a pretty weak wifi.  Part of the problem is the
>> wifi driver I suspect, but other things like the antenna are probably
>> not helping.
>> Does anyone have a product to recommend, based on something comparable
>> to an Allwinner SoC, but where the wifi is of good quality?
> Use a separate wifi range extender

AFAIK this is just another USB wifi adapter, just with higher power
ratings.  I'm already using an external (USB) wifi adapter in my
Mele-A2000 (to overcome the problems I have with the builtin adapter
which gives me typically about 100KB/s average with long periods of
0B/s, whereas an external adapter gives me about 800KB/s on average), so
this post is specifically about finding a system where I don't need to
skip the builtin adapter and use an external one.

FWIW I don't need super extra power: this is for use in a 2-bedroom
apartment, in your typical north american house where the structure is
all in wood.

        Stefan