[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 now booting Linaro distro from uSD card

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 18 21:54:05 BST 2013

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-09-18 at 11:29 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
>

>> > Any instructions on what I can do to cut the chase
>> > and get to sources for
>> > Linaro  http://releases.linaro.org/latest/ubuntu/raring-images/alip
>> > linaro-raring-alip-20130826-474 ?  :)
>>
>>  there are no shortcuts.  you'll need to become familiar with how
>> gnu/linux distributions are built and maintained [by almost 1,000
>> people in the case of debian].
>
> A distro is just a snapshot and all I need is sources of that
> snapshot which must exist.

 yes.  i answered already.  mirror the archive.

> Looking at LFS.

 that's a good one.  it was the precursor to gentoo.  my friend
richard lightman was one of its main contributors / advocates.

> Distro makers have this sorted, so
> surely someone has this sorted for embedded
> or else they are all building empires of sand.

 i already answered.  openembedded, openwrt and so on.  oh and
buildroot (i'm not keen on that one).

> I note on ubuntu at least, I can just click on
> all dev packages and I got sources for everything.

 indeed.

> But I just want to click only for the packages in use
> and automate the remaining work to collect
> all sources in use. Would be nice if there was a
> script or a feature that can do that.

 yeah the problem is the dependencies.  you can't just grab a random
package, you have to identify its dependencies as well.

 by the time you've done this you find it's much easier to follow the
advice i've already given you which is to mirror the whole lot.
especially because you cannot predict what the customer will need over
the next 10-20 years.