[Arm-netbook] EOMA68-A20 now booting Linaro distro from uSD card

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 11:06:24 BST 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-17 at 18:45 +0200, Arokux X wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> several more tips for you. Linaro images are built using Live Build
> infrastructure (This method could be used by you later to create
> custom images). This page explains how they do it:
>
> https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/Rootfs
>
> The passage "Creating the rootfs supported by Linaro" is the most
> interesting one as it describes how you can build a rootfs by
> yourself.
>
> Do not forget to change the command
>
> cd ubuntu-build-service/quantal-armhf-nano
>

> since you need raring.
>

> As I understand it, Linaro guys are not compiling from scratch. They
> put an image together using packages from the ARM-repos provided by
> Ubuntu.
>

> If you want you can go even deeper i.e. compiling the packages
> themselves from sources, but putting an image together from the ready
> available packages seems to be the first step down this road...
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Arokux

Thanks Arokux.

A lot of chasing work by the sound of it, and which
everyone has to pointlessly repeat I guess.

It is a shame they can't produce one button to say
here are the total sources for version x.
Git clone / git checkout is so much better!!

The products we build last between 10 and 20 years.
So its not like some consumer tablet or phone that gets ditched
a year or two later after purchase.

We own the circuit diagrams and sources for everything
that gets built or its no green light.
Without 100% self contained sources,
tools and everything else to recreate the original
developer environment, projects like making our products
would suffer.

100% GPL compliance and enforcement thing is perfect industrial
strength solution for this I can see. Spending time on
getting hold of the sources and tools
and putting int into one place is justifiable.