[Arm-netbook] 480 × 272 5" LCD lash up ready for testing

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 12:10:44 BST 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Arokux X <arokux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
>>   quotes sticking quotes with a specific kernel release just for the
>> sake of it does not actually help achieve the goal: in fact it
>> massively hinders it.
>

> just to let you know. sunxi-3.4 is not a *specific* kernel release in
> comparison to what you are using. it is a kernel very actively maintained by
> community with a big user base which make sure it is stable and feature
> full. apart from the kernel itself there is a big infrastructure around it
> (like tutorials, sunxi-bsp etc.).

 ... except that it doesn't do the full job that's required of it.  it
doesn't matter how actively maintained it is if it doesn't fully work
[it _did_ however allow _some_ testing to be done, and allowed _some_
hardware to be confirmed working].

 the point which you're missing arokux is that this is an *early*
phase of testing.  there is no requirement in that early *hardware*
testing to stick to *any* specific kernel.

 once the hardware *has* been confirmed as fully working, *then* users
*may* choose to go with a specific kernel release, but that is a later
phase from the current one, which is early alpha testing.

> what i'm promoting here is the alignment of two projects: EOMA68-A20 and
> sunxi.org.

 ... if the sunxi.org community wants me to be part of that they need
to stop using proprietary hosting services.  this has been discussed
before.  if they had _asked_, alain, myself and a number of other
quite prominent free software developers with over 20 years of
experience in running server infrastructure would have immediately
offered to help.

> this will allow you to post your software related questions to
> the linux-sunxi mailing list and get support.

 personally i will be happy to post to linux-sunxi when it's not
running on google groups.  other users are more than welcome to choose
to join that list, but i will not be joining it, nor will i post to
it, until it is moved off of google groups.

 by contrast i'm more than happy to interact with people on
#linux-sunxi on irc.freenode.net

> the software questions you are
> wrapping your heads around here are solved by sunxi.org long time ago. the
> other ones can be solved within several days instead of a week. of course,
> sunxi.org will benefit from you too.
>
> i should say i get absolutely no interest in what i do here. i just followed
> your mailing list and discovered a duplication of effort.

 i'm aware of that: the arm-netbooks mailing list was used to discuss
the standby.pm issues _long_ before the linux-sunxi list was
considered to be set up.