[Arm-netbook] 480 × 272 5" LCD lash up ready for testing

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 15:06:56 BST 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 12:01 +0100, luke.leighton wrote:
>> joe this is amazingly already in here:
>> http://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide#.5Blcd0_para.5D
>>
>> remember to run fex2bin script.fex script.bin after editing.
>>
>> ;RGB 480x272    module name: KD43G18-40NB-A11
>> lcd_x                    = 480
>> lcd_y                    = 272
>> lcd_dclk_freq            = 9
>> lcd_if                   = 0
>> lcd_hbp                  = 2
>> lcd_ht                   = 525
>> lcd_vbp                  = 2
>> lcd_vt                   = 572
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > A 480 × 272 5" LCD which costs <$15 has been lashed up for testing:
>> >
>> > http://www.gplsquared.com/eoma_boot/eoma_boot.html#lcd_lashup
>> >
>> > The LCD is a KD43G18-40NB-A1.
>> > Aliexpress store sell these LCDs
>> > http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=KD43G18-40NB-A1
>> >
>> > Datasheet http://www.gplsquared.com/eoma_boot/KD43G18-40NB-A1-1.pdf
>> >
>> > Anyone got a time to do a time saving uSD image
>> > configured for 480 x 272 operation that I can try for
>> > a bit of quick verification :) ?
>> >

> Unbelievable - thank you Luke.

 *shrugs*.  just a coincidence that you picked the right mass-volume
low-cost LCD that everyone else happens to also be using.

> Management was impressed with progress and now allow me 50% time
> to work on this.

 coo!

> I order later today another SSD to install debian.
> I wasn't about to distro flip just just to be able to compile,
> so I decided to SSD flip instead !!!

 don't bloody well get an OCZ!  i've been testing SSDs here at work.
destroyed a Crucial M4 with 2,500 power-cycles in 48 hrs; a
THNSNH060GCST showed data corruption in under *5 minutes* (i'm still
not certain about that one, it could be my test that's faulty) - i've
got some Innodisk Sata-Slims 3MG-P to test (i'm feeling much more
confident about those based on the datasheet) and i have some Intel
S3500s to do as well.

 Intel 320s are going (gone) end-of-life, a pity because we've only
ever had 2 out of 800 ever fail in the field (after a number of years
of 24x7 use), they're superb, so we're hopeful that the Intel S3500s
will be of similar quality.

 you saw what happened to linus torvalds - be bloody careful about
what SSD you pick!  even advertised power-loss protection *doesn't*
guarantee that the firmware's actually any good.