[Arm-netbook] SATA - ATAS

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Sep 10 11:17:27 BST 2013

"luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>  those who understand how KDIR works and who know that you have to
>>> substitute *your* kernel source directory, not use the personal
>>> settings that someone *else* has cut/paste from running the "history"
>>> command :)

>  yes sir!
>
>> Arokox and others tell me already...
>
>  :)
>
>  can you modify the page (everyone has edit permission) so it reflects
> this, insert words "please put directory here" or something.

Joe, Would this have worked better for you?

   git clone http://git.hands.com/linux.git linux-from-git.hands.com
   cd linux-from-git.hands.com
   git checkout -b lkcl-3.3-a20
   make -j3 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- KDIR="$PWD" -C arch/arm/mach-sun7i/pm/standby all
   make -j3 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- uImage modules

Just so you follow what I've changed, first I've given the clone an
extra parameter, which names the new directory explicitly, rather than
just using the 'linux' bit of the URL, and secondly I'm using $PWD,
which contains the current directory, rather than leaving whatever my
directory might be called in the cut&paste -- obviously, that only works
if you've cd-ed to the right directory, but then again, it's not really
going to work if you don't.

Hopefully this would have avoided the confusion about which 'linux' came
From where, by naming the cloned directory a little more usefully, and
would also avoid the assumption that people would understand the bit
about KDIR=whatever being something they need to change.

You're welcome to paste that into the wiki (assuming it works for you --
I didn't test it), or feel free to give me a nudge and I'll do it, once
you say it works.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. It would probably help if there was less of an impatient tone to
the responses to queries like Joe's.  I am completely with the
irritation at the "Just make an image" suggestion, because I have also
suffered rotting images that become impossible to update for various
reasons, but irritation with that scenario does not really justify an
irritable response to what is an entirely reasonable request for a
working environment -- we need to fix the instructions if they don't
work for people, not bicker about the bug report.