[Arm-netbook] SATA - ATAS

Liviu Dudau liviu at dudau.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 00:06:26 BST 2013

Hi joem,

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 10:05:59PM +0000, joem wrote:
> > Wait wait wait! You did git clone http://git.hands.com/linux.git, now
> > you have linux directory somewhere. Point KDIR to this  directory.
>
> Yes - that would be at ~/code is where I set up the clone
> and KDIR should then be set to ~/code/linux
> because when cloning  http://git.hands.com/linux.git, it drops the
> files into a sub directory called linux (NOT linux-sunxi !!!!!!!!!!).

My guess is that the http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner/a20/boot/ page
was done by peeking at the instructions from
http://linux-sunxi.org/Building_on_Debian. In there you can see that
the git tree that gets cloned ends in linux-sunxi.git, hence the
directory name.

A short explanation on what the two commands do. To make them work
substitute KDIR to point to where your kernel directory lives (if
you are already in there, you can use KDIR=$PWD):

make -j3 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- KDIR=~/src/a10/linux-sunxi/ -C arch/arm/mach-sun7i/pm/standby all

This compiles the standby module. I guess for some reason AllWinner's
engineers have not figured out the right way of declaring their
dependencies so this is a manual step.

make -j3 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- uImage modules

This compiles the actual kernel. This time, it assumes you are in
the right directory.

If you look in the Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt and
Documentation/kbuild/kbuild.txt a lot of these magic variables get explained
there.

Best regards,
Liviu

> Can you then begin to imagine the amount of confusion if following the
> instruction at  http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner/a20/boot/ as is???
>
> There is never going to be a linux-sunxi sub directory and you are toast
> at the first line because there is no hint on how to progress. (I really
> wonder how many people have gotten past the first line now! :)  )
>
> I try it later tonight if not tomorrow and update documentation when it
> works.
>
> Thanks Arokux
>
> ---
>
> OK finally I got the command line set up correctly,
> but unfortunately hit different compile error messages on todays
> version of "git clone http://git.hands.com/linux.git"
> and version from a few days back. Error messages here:
> http://www.gplsquared.com/eoma_boot/compile_error1.txt

   .oooO
   (   )
    \ (  Oooo.