[Arm-netbook] SATA - ATAS

Arokux X arokux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:58:26 BST 2013

 > I got sunxi Linux compiling first time yesterday after getting

> > That is what got me confused - is the kernel sources sub directory not
> > in the linux directory already?
>
>  there *is* no quotes subdirectory - it *is* the kernel sources.
>
> > If its not in there, what am I
> > downloading when I do git clone http://git.hands.com/linux.git ?

Those are the internals of a git repository that contains kernel. Think of
it as a database with all the commits and history. If you do git clone, you
get it all and then it resides in .git directory (similar to .svn). What
you actually see after git clone in your directory is the most recent
version of the code, known as working copy.

> >>  the -C option you can look up with "man make" - it says "after you've
> >> loaded Makefile, change to directory arch/.... *before* starting
> >> compiling".
> >
> > yup - though I have no idea why it needs to do that - which is what I
> > want to understand and document.
>
>  it's because allwinner can't fucking well get their act together and
> play some stupid shit tricks rather than do a proper job where you
> just need to run "make".
>
>  so you have to do this stupid trick of separately-compiling up the
> standby code.
>
>  in the sunxi community code they've integrated the standby code
> properly so you can just run "make".  however, in order to save time
> i've started from the allwinner code, so it has the stupidity in it.

It would be nice to have some EOMA68+MEBs available to sunxi community
soon, so that  people can see if sunxi-3.4 (latest kernel from
linux-sunxi.org) runs well on it and fix things if it doesn't. Then you
guys can run only several simple commands and make use of our extensive
tutorials on the wiki.