[Arm-netbook] SATA - ATAS

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 13:08:08 BST 2013

> > I got sunxi Linux compiling first time yesterday after getting
> > the tool chains and set ups correct in Ubuntu 12.04.3 - but its not the
> > EOMA one yet :(
> > That is crashing left and right.

>  what you *probably* mean is "the instructions for compiling sunxi
> linux kernel aren't working for me"

Nearly same problem - my environment isn't working for me.

> > From http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner/a20/boot/
> > When I run
> >
> > make -j3 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-
> > KDIR=~/src/a10/linux-sunxi/ -C arch/arm/mach-sun7i/pm/standby all
>
>  the KDIR environment variable is a standard linux kernel environment
> variable, which says "my (K)ernal (DIR)ectory is ~/src/....".  so,
> obviously, you have to adjust that for your setup.

That is what got me confused - is the kernel sources sub directory not
in the linux directory already? If its not in there, what am I
downloading when I do git clone http://git.hands.com/linux.git ?

>  the -C option you can look up with "man make" - it says "after you've
> loaded Makefile, change to directory arch/.... *before* starting
> compiling".

yup - though I have no idea why it needs to do that - which is what I
want to understand and document.

> > Also, I noticed the script.fex has a lot of hardware enabled by default.
> > Is that right Luke?
>
>  sort-of.  it doesn't really matter greatly.  but, it's a start not a final.
>
> > Just thinking out loud here - that script.fex
> > needs to match the hardware that is wired out of the EOMA
> > or it may to cripple the testing with tangential issues?
>
>  *hand-waving*... if you spot anything let me know.

100% hand-waving. I don't understand enough of the parameters in
script.fex to make calls yet, but one thing I do know with ARMs is that
if you do turn on and off features unnecessarily, they will trip each
other up because pins are shared and you end up going off at a tangent
with some driver issue, and then come back and say ooooopss!! (For
example, in some Cortex CPUs I use, the ADC and GPIO should not be
turned at the same time to the same pin or it will draw >300mA per pin
that conflicts.)

So for those with the know, I would say get the inventory of hardware
bits in use and make script.fex best as can be. I was comparing
script.fex with cubieboard2's and spotted the large number of
differences where it appears more hardware has been turned on than off
in the EOMA.

> > Also I don't know if it matters yet but the software at
> > git clone http://git.hands.com/linux.git
> > is getting way behind from the one at http://linux-sunxi.org/
>
>  it's there for a different purpose.
>
> > Will it be easy to use the one at http://linux-sunxi.org/
> > and have some instructions to customize it for EOMA?
>
>  no.  it's easier to take snapshots, work on those (where we have
> access and an ssh key so can write to git.hands.com) then submit
> patches once they're stable.
>

> > Also last but not least
> > git clone git://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-boards.git
> > does not have an entry for the EOMA
> > Would it all be easier if it were in there?
>
>  yes.
>
>  please feel free to submit one.

seems worthwhile - have to learn and work it out.