[Arm-netbook] [EOMA68-A20] SATA testing

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 00:09:23 BST 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM, Christopher Thomas
<christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> hmmm.... i wonder.... are we supposed to be connecting eSATA
>

> I was under the impression eSATA and SATA were electrically identically, but
> mechanically different?

 i think on the wiki page it said the voltage (current?) was a little
bit higher, or that the low end of the range was lower, allowing for
more voltage drop, but otherwise electrically-compatible.

> At any rate, I can't seem to keep my EOMA68-A20 card on long enough to do
> any testing.  Within 10 seconds of it loading the OS, it completely dies.

 hmmm i'd suggest looking at the connector again, check for shorts
between them lovely 68 pins...

> Regardless of MEB or not. Maybe a problem with the AXP?

 honestly don't know.  is this recent?

 you should be able to check voltages.  i'm getting 0.75, 1.03, 3.22
and 1.4 off the inductors.

 i can do a picture tomorrow, but it's real easy chris (don't short
anything out!).  put a voltmeter (or better a scope) on each side of
the (large) inductors.  one side will be a complete mess, the other
side will be stable voltage.  there's 4 inductors.  then, if you look
closely near the CPU there's a (long, thin) crystal.  to the left of
_that_ is a 5-pin SOT23.  the pin in the top right is VOUT.  check
that - CAREFULLY.  i think if i've picked the right one it should be
2.5V.

the other SOT23 - about 20mm north and 8mm west - i can't remember
what voltage it's supposed to be.... i might as well power up and
check... it's... err... supposed to be ... errr.. wait... voltage is
0.6V oh hang on those are SY8008Bs and pin 5 is the "feedback" line
(the other SY8008B is near micro-sd).   so the output voltage is on
the other side of the resistor-bridge... ok, the one near the micro-sd
there are 2 0402 resistors: you should get 1.3V off of the right end
of the right-most one.