[Arm-netbook] Allwinner A10/A13 Video Decoder Reverse engineered

Ken Phillis Jr kphillisjr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 17:05:58 BST 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir at cohens.org.il>wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 01:34:14PM -0500, Ken Phillis Jr wrote:
> > There is some good updates on the Allwinner A10/A13 and that is the video
> > decoder has been reverse engineered and is now open source.
> >

> > [Phoronix] Allwinner Video Decode Gets Reverse-Engineered
> > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ0OTY
> >
> > Linux Sunxi wiki: Reverse Engineering/Cedar Status
> > http://linux-sunxi.org/Reverse_Engineering/Cedar_Status
> >
> > Github - libVDPAU-sunxi driver
> > https://github.com/jemk/libvdpau-sunxi
>
> Great!
>
> I'd very much like to see this included in Debian. Anything I can do to
> help?
>
> --
> Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is
> http://tzafrir.org.il |                    | a Mutt's
> tzafrir at cohens.org.il |                    |  best
> tzafrir at debian.org    |                    | friend

There is not a lot needed to help get this in debian.

1) The responses should go to the arm-netbook mailing list and not to my
email address only.
2) Be patient. This driver is in early stages, and there is a quick X11
session input but it does not have a proper X11 driver. A proper driver
includes DRM, KMS, Framebuffer, Mesa Drivers and a DRI2 based X11 driver.
3) This does not currently include OpenGL nor OpenMAX  support. Both of
these features are required for useful integration on XBMC, Flash and other
platforms.
4) As for actual integration, I would say that all it really needs is
proper packaging scripts to be added. Currently I know this driver depends
on X11, and libVPAU.