[Arm-netbook] [EOMA68] RS232 on SoCs

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 14:43:56 BST 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM, joem <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:

> Just repeat what I say earlier in case it applies.
> Avoid connecting micro USB serial cable at any time
> and bin that cable if you can (for now).

 .... every board i've tested (and there's been... 5 now) has worked
perfectly with being powered exclusively by micro-usb.

> Although device can work
> off the USB alone, under testing I find sending
> character streams via the RS232 while only on USB power
> will crash the A20 probably because it wants to do something
> and that something needs more power than 500mA limited
> micro USB cable source can provide.

 ... then my guess would be that there's something else at play here.
are you running via a USB hub?  have you checked the current draw?  if
it's really greater than 500mA then i suspect something's wrong with
the board (short or partial-short somewhere).