[Arm-netbook] EOMA-68 Boots Android and plays youtube videos very well

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 22:03:12 BST 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Christopher Thomas
<christopher at firemothindustries.com> wrote:

>> Got my new SSD netbook operational - no luck across 3 different internets:
>>
>>  git clone http://git.hands.com/linux.git
>>  Cloning into 'linux'...
>>  warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.
>>
>> That message comes up about half hour later.
>> I'm on Ubuntu 12.04.3.
>>
>> I also note a Linux directory has been created which has one single hidden
>> .git directory
>> that contains 1.6GB of data.
>>
> I just reinstalled a fresh Debian installation on my IBM ThinkPad T61, the
> very first repo that I'm trying to clone is hands.com/linux.git, and so far
> no error, but it's been 20 minutes and hasn't passed beyond "Cloning into
> 'linux'..."

 that's correct.  20 minutes downloading 1.2+ gbytes without any
messages because it's HTTP is perfectly normal.

 you can check progress by doing "du" in the linux/.git directory -
you'll see there's some HUGE files being created.

 if that process is interrupted in ANY way then the entire lot gets deleted.

 in future, follow the same advice i gave joe, and in future don't
ever do a clone of a static HTTP repository this big, use the trick i
described.