[Arm-netbook] My little idea...

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 13:41:00 BST 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 5:13 AM, Hans-Christian Jehg <hc at jehg.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:12:24 -0400, Christopher Havel wrote:
>>
>> Here, have a scan, guys! -->http://i.imgur.com/f2lbm3R.jpg
>>
>> There's the VGA interface. Any tweaks you want to add, add.
>
> WOW
>
>> To enable 18b VGA you need one GPIO.
>> Adding 24b capability requires a second GPIO. The circuit as drawn uses
>> GPIO3 and GPIO4 to not conflict with the earlier schematics which use
>> GPIOs 0,1,2 to drive the Ethernet port LEDs.

 ah right, i hadn't spotted this earlier.  that driving has to be done
in software, i.e. it will be necessary to tie in polling of the MII
interface from the RTL8201 (link light up) into a kernel module that
then pulls GPIO high or low as appropriate.

... to be absolutely honest it sounds like a lot of hassle!

> How about putting those VGA GPIO on an I2C extender to keep GPIO free for
> something that needs GPIO? - Just a thought :-)

 depends on whether it's a PC product or an engineering product.

thoughts?