[Arm-netbook] My little idea...

Christopher Havel laserhawk64 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 16:59:59 BST 2013

I'm... I'm blown away. YOU guys think MY stuff is awesome...? Holy
/crap/. I'm the smallest fry in the bin.

I've got a lifetime total of maybe an hour of futzing with
microcontrollers -- and I'm being generous there! 90% of what I know how
to make is discrete logic or transistors-only or relay crap. Probably my
most complicated circuit ever is a relay adder-subtracter that has a
rotary phone dial as input. (Never have been able to build it -- I'm
actually fairly poor so being able to build anything is an event of
near-legendary proportions...)

Seriously. I'm the sort of electronics hobbyist that has to look up
circuits on the 'Net and then tweak them or combine them to get what I
want. I'm not sure I'm even qualifiable as "little league" here -- I'm
the hardware equivalent of a script kiddie, maybe. I think I might
actually be a level or two below that...

The schematics that you say are "awesome" are a combination of six parts
Wikipedia, five parts general Internet (with tweaking), one part
pinouts[dot]ru, one part from a Forrest Mims book, three parts sheer
unadulterated guesswork, and two parts straight off the EOMA-68 wiki
page. I can't say myself if it's awesome or not, but to me it looks like
a total kludge :P

Oh yeah -- one idea I had to make assembly even easier (definitely need
a PCB for this, hand wiring it would be a nightmare) -- socket the R-2R
ladders -- so one DIP-16 socket for the input 2Rs and another for the
column of Rs and the 2R at the end. Makes things more compact, and it's
super easy to replace resistors if they're faulty someday.

If you can link me to the Olimex schematic, I can try to understand it
and adapt it, but I'm not promising anything. I'm a very visual person
so words describing it will probably not work anywhere near as well --
I'll probably just be extremely confused. I can look up pinouts and read
datasheets and put it together like a jigsaw puzzle in my head, and
that's the best way for me 'cause that's what I'm used to ;)