[Arm-netbook] AMD 2W APU

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 14:13:55 GMT 2013

> >> I'm not sure how this can be compared to ARM SoC power consumption, as
> >> they may use a different metric.
> >
> > The entire EOMA68-A20 dual core with RAM and ethernet working is about
> > 0.3A @ 5V or about 1.5W. A third less if its idling.
> >

> Thanks. But Is it possible to estimate the power consumption of
> EOMA68-Mullins based on SDP or TDP for the same tasks? I understand
> manufacturers use SDP / TDP to provide adequate cooling solutions for
> x86 systems. So I'd assume the CPU power consumption would be less than
> 4.5W or even 2W, but we would still need to add the power consumption of
> other components (e.g. RAM), to get an idea.

If I go by my MK802 experience, I would say put in the max ratings
and supply adequate ventilation or the box will crash when doing
the grunt work when someone loads decent software.

The current EOMA68-A20 is hot enough - so I guess not
much more option to pump more heat in.

That would imply EOMA68-Mullins would need vent holes and
ability to shift around 6W of heat, which in turn would imply a
miniature fan or a heat pump. Not looking forward to that
because you may as well start with a big Intel chip if
power consumption is not an issue.

As it takes months and months to make these into boards and
get software going, personal opinion is that it is
easier just to stick with making selling the existing ones, and then to
wait a few months for chip geometries to shrink and then for someone
bring out more powerful ARM with lower power consumption and greater
features.