[Arm-netbook] HDMI variant low profile ethernet socket

joem joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 14:25:31 GMT 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 06:56 -0600, Eric Stuyvesant wrote:
> Back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, before USB, 3Com
> used to make type I PCMCIA (and, later, Cardbus) ethernet cards which
> used a short 6" or so dongle to bring the proprietary-but-nice
> latching outward-facing card-edge connector out to a standard modular
> jack. Variant dongle cables were available for the other 10-base-T
> physical connector types, but these were really rare. The 3Com cards
> were available rebadged as Dell, IBM, etc. I don't know if these
> dongles are still in active production somewhere in China, but they
> are still semi-available through ebay and such. "3Com dongle pcmcia"
> are the key search terms.
>
> If we're going to reinvent the wheel, it might be good to reuse the
> old latching connector and dongle design, if it isn't
> patent-encumbered.

That old latching connector could still leave it with
a height problem for slick designs.

The cheapest mini-HDMI connector I found was advertised
as $0.10 - $0.20 for MOQ of 3000.
The cheapest magnetics I found was about $1.

Mixing HDMI and ethernet signals could be fatal to HDMI
though :( Any leaking mains or lightening strike entering
the cable also fatal to HDMI, while well built ethernet could survive.