[Arm-netbook] eoma68 router pcb

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Thu Nov 14 01:38:50 GMT 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM, luke.leighton <luke.leighton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/router/news/
> >
> > uh... am i reading this right - that this router design could be up to
> > 20 watts??  4x USB2 @ 500mA (10W), 1x RTL8366 (3W) and an EOMA68 CPU
> > Card (4W).  That's.... a hell of a lot.
> >
> > anyone any experience at dealing with that much power on small boards
> > (4 amp @ 5V) ?
>
>  LM1084?  any guidance on PCB layout anyone aware of?
>
>  l.

Well, this will obviously be a 4 layer board, but I can say with the MEBv2,
we had tremendous problems with thermal dissipation of the LM2576 at
9-12vdc, at 6vdc is was manageable, but the MEBv2++ are 2 layer boards, and
with the addition of a secondary power plane, it would probably have been
fine. For the most recent versions, we are using an AP6503a, and so far at
6, 9,12 vdc the heat is non-existent. Not to mention, the local price of
the AP6503 was .60c cheaper than the LM2576, and is 85-95% more heat
efficient.

--
Christopher Thomas
Firemoth Industries, LLC - Owner