[Arm-netbook] SPDIF on EOMA68 A20

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 15:54:48 GMT 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Miguel Angel Ochoa Rodriguez
<maochoa at tecnipyme.com> wrote:

> It would be possible to extend or modify the bus to enter the i2s??

 i looked at I2S, and i looked at over 50 SoCs.

 1) I2S is not standard enough across enough SoCs in order to
guarantee that it will be available.  the EOMA68 interfaces were
chosen because they have been lowest-common-denominator for well over
a decade.

 2) although I2S was high on the priority list of interfaces to be
added to EOMA68, it was simply too many pins to add (8 if you want to
support Dolby multi-channel).

so .... USB (either with a hardware IC or in an Embedded Controller)
it had to be.