[Arm-netbook] SPDIF on EOMA68 A20

Christopher Thomas christopher at firemothindustries.com
Wed Nov 13 01:28:01 GMT 2013

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Miguel Angel Ochoa Rodriguez <maochoa at tecnipyme.com> wrote:

> Dear OEMA68 developer community .
>
> We are a team of Spanish engineers who are developing a Home Cinema
> -Media Center to integrate XBMC on Linux on a modular concept .
>
> We thought we had EOMA68 use platform for our project.
>
> But note that not included SPDIF output included in the CPU to one of
> the GPIO outputs as expecificacion see that the original is not
> contemplated.
>
> We think that in a Media Center is mandatory to have a SPDIF
> connection because sometimes only play music and it is interesting to
> connect the audio DAC you have, no need to convert from HDMI .
>
> My question is ..
>
> The EOMA68 espeficicaciones the A- 20 are closed or else you could ask
> implement this output to a GPIO ??

The EOMA68 as a STANDARD is open, however, in its current draft, SDIF would have to be provided by an auxiliary/external Audio IC. Repurposing the 8 specified GPIO to SPDIF would make your product NON-EOMA Compliant. Although, I'm not sure, but I think I saw Luke or someone implementing PCM audio via the GPIO, I'm unsure however.

> - In event of failure to implement GPIO , I noticed that the photos of
> the first prototype boards last is eliminated auxiliary bus had on top

The Bus on top is a 44 pin header, 30pins are RGB/TTL, 8 are GPIO, 2 are I2C, 2 are RX/Tx, and the last 2 are 5VDC and GND.

> .
>
> It would be possible to go back on the design some kind of signal
> SPDIF auxiliary bus and maybe some other CPU signal discarded but
> interesting in specific applications .???

Modifying the specification at this point in the EOMA68 seems unlikely, however, Luke is more qualified to answer those questions.

By modifying the spec specifically for SPDIF, you then alienate those who would like to change the spec for some other feature like the 2nd USB HOST, or CANBUS lines. Which can further dilute the standard and cause confusion.

I believe, but could be wrong, that a somewhat work around that has been discussed, but not decided upon is to have some sort of device tree stored in EEPROM or NAND, that has a list of the devices on the board and reprogramming the EOMA68 on insertion.

Again, Luke can correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, have a look at one of our future projects that incorporates a standalone USB Audio IC with USB HUB.

http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/carrier_board/

> Sincerely Miguel Ochoa
> Industrial Electronics Technician

Welcome to the list!