[Arm-netbook] identification EEPROM: device ID and device tree pages

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 5 09:59:45 GMT 2013

hi...

Purpose:

assuming agreement on the DIDS layout, below is a proposed definition for the
two pages we currently know we must have:

* a device ID page
* a device tree page

Goals:

To standardize the process of identifying a chassis (or any hardware device,
for that matter?) and the components/devices on the chassis which can not be
discovered reliably through probing.

Proposal:

Define two DIDS conforming pages, one for identification information and the
other for device tree information, and assign them Page Identifiers (PID).

Implementation:

Name: Device Identification
PID: 0x01

Page data layout:

Byte(s)		        	Value
==========              ======================
2                                       Device type (assigned centrally)
2                                       Device revision
4                                       Vendor ID (assigned centrally)
4                                       Product ID (vendor generated,
registered centrally)
N                                       Manufacturer cstring
N                                       Product cstring
N                                       Serial number cstring

Name: Device tree
PID: 0x02
Page data consists of a standard “dtb” blob as generated by a device tree
compiler (dtc) compliant with the Device Tree standard defined at
http://devicetree.org

--
Aaron J. Seigo