[Arm-netbook] Two Questions: MEB/Card/Case and VGA Proto

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 4 19:16:41 GMT 2013

On Monday, November 4, 2013 14:04:43 Christopher Havel wrote:
> I was under the impression that the EEPROM served to fix the autoprobe
> issue -- that is, to identify what devices and capabilities were present
> on the MEB (or any other 'carrier board') and tell the OS about it. Was
> I mistaken...?

well yes, if you want to be able to bring up all devices on a random
application board then getting to the EEPROM will be necessary, though that
will hopefully also be handled by provided tools (bootloader, etc.). i’d hate
to see that have to be adapted to for every target OS one by one :/

even then, if you don’t care to be able to see every device automatically, you
don’t even need that. we’ve obviously all been working with EOMA68 boards with
that so far, right?

what you are limited to are things like USB devices and the rest has to be
hand-configured. and of course that is only applicable to the application
board: what is on the EOMA68 card itself is well documented. so not the end of
the world...

putting the (non-autodiscoverable) device tree on the EEPROM is just to remove
the hand-configuration process. but it is not required to getting an OS on one
of the EOMA68 cards.

--
Aaron J. Seigo