[Arm-netbook] GK802 for $70

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue May 28 22:33:33 BST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:
> "luke.leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com> writes:
>>   at this point i think it would be sensible to move this discussion
>> to an appropriate debian mailing list, because they will know the
>> details as to why dpkg is the way that it is.
>
> Please don't -- judging from the discussion so far I seriously doubt
> anyone will be made happier by doing that.

 *lol*.  yehh.... there is that.

> As for levels of complexity, you missed another explosion of
> combinations that dpkg now handles: multiarch now lets you install
> packages from other architectures, and have packages depend/conflict
> on/with packages from other architectures.

 hurhur.  hilarious.  so i can mix amd64 packages with i386 ones yet
have them run seamlessly because as part of the dependency chain the
64-to-32-bit mapping-libraries (which end up i think it is in /lib32
or somewhere) will *also* get installed.  or i can install armel
packages on armhf systems and they'll actually work, just through
nothing more than doing an an "apt-get install".

 would that be about right?

> opkg is all very well, and handles what's needed on openwrt very well,
> but that's because it's possible to download the pakcages list in a
> couple of seconds, and because people upgrade by reflashing the bulk of
> the OS and then only use opkg to twiddle a few packages on top of that.

 ... and you've done quite a few installs of openwrt if i recall
correctly, you told me i think it was about 4 or probably more years
ago that you'd bought netgear or linksys routers and had been having
fun putting IPv6 on them.

> If you're doing full system upgrades, with local file diversions, and
> handling conflicts between conffile edits by the packager vs. edits by
> the local sysadmin, then you're going to need just a little more code.

 i'd forgotten about that lot.  actually, phil, you're probably about
the best person to address this: not one of the developers themselves
[so wouldn't get annoyed at having their time wasted] but having
what.... something like 17 or 18 years experience with debian you'd
kinda know all the ins-and-outs like the dpkg-divert stuff.

 so in essence what you're saying is that opkg and other "simple"
package managers are basically completely ill-equipped to deal with
the complexities of upgrading a complete OS (as modified and
configured to the user's choices) from one version to the next, and
that the only choice available for such users of opkg and "simple"
package managers is a complete and total system reinstall.

 ... which is typically fine for them because the total amount of
software installed is usually something like 4mbytes.

 l.

 p.s. ta for chipping in here.