[Arm-netbook] "smarter" phone

Vladimir Pantelic vladoman at gmail.com
Tue May 28 13:39:23 BST 2013

luke.leighton wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Zsolt Sztupak <mail at sztupy.hu> wrote:

>>> The MTK kernel source is out finally.  Alcatel has released it for processors up to even the recent quad core.
>
>   good for them!  wow.  i'm impressed.  alcatel was the source of GPL
> compliance for previous kernel sources for mediatek processors as
> well.

I (at work) have released kernel source to a couple of Chinese SoCs
and if we ever make a product using MTK, I will do so too... But as
said, that has nothing to do with how "open" or "fair" a certain SoC
vendor is.

as for the fairphone, I am sure it would be way easier to audit a
Western SoC manufacturer for the fairness of the whole production
process than MTK et al.

>> Still kinda useless (if you want to modify Android) without the Android platform code that was changed.
>
>   android is under the apache2 license.  there is absolutely no reason
> in hell why they should release the code.  there is absolutely no
> legal obligation for them to release the code.
>
>   now you know why the apache2 license is such a fucking bad idea.

since we do not have a competing "full" GPL based phone OS with the
same widespread use, it might be a fucking bad idea, but a fucking
successful too - and so far the fucking only one.